The Department of Public Health (CDPH) provides the following information in addition to the update from the County of Fresno Department of Public Health:
As with any virus, especially during the flu season, CDPH reminds you there are a number of steps you can take to protect your health and those around you:
• Washing hands with soap and water.
• Avoiding touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoiding close contact with people who are sick are all ways to reduce the risk of infection with a number of different viruses.
• If someone does become sick with respiratory symptoms like fever and cough, they should stay away from work, school or other people to avoid spreading illness.
• If you haven’t done so already, get a Flu shot.
There have only been two people in California who have been infected with novel coronavirus. According to the CDPH, if you become sick, it is important to let your doctor know if you have traveled to Wuhan, China or feel you may have come in contact with anyone who may have novel coronavirus.
CDPH has been prepared and is continuing with the following actions:
• Providing information about the outbreak and how to report suspect cases to local health departments and health care providers in California.
• Coordinating with CDC personnel who are doing screening of travelers from Wuhan, China at airports in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
• Making sure that health care providers know how to safely care for persons with possible novel coronavirus infection.
• Supporting hospitals and local public health laboratories for collection and shipment of specimens for testing at CDC for nCoV-2019, the novel coronavirus strand.
• Activating CDPH's Emergency Operations Center to coordinate response efforts across the state.
For more information and updates on the coronavirus (nCov-2019), visit the CDPH website: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR20-001.aspx or the Center for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/